This perfect party appetizer is hardly reinventing the wheel, but sometimes we just need gentle reminders about the simplicity of eating real food. You’ll be reaching for these cute and colourful little finger food skewers when all your cherry tomatoes ripen at the same time, but they’re really a nice treat at any time of the year.
Caprese Salad Sticks
Recipe type: Appetizer, Salad
Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
Serves: 5 servings
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- 1 cup bocconcini (mini size) or mozzarella balls (similar in size to tomatoes)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Wooden skewers or medium-sized toothpicks (for smaller skewers)
- Add the cherry tomatoes to a medium sized mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle generously with sea salt, and toss to coat.
- Add the bocconcini to a second medium mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle generously with sea salt, and toss to coat.
- Thread the tomatoes, bocconcini, and basil onto the skewers in this order: tomato, bocconcini, basil (fold larger leaves in half), tomato, basil, bocconcini (for smaller skewers/toothpicks, one ingredient per stick works best). Repeat with the remaining skewers. Arrange on a platter.