Grain free casserole
Recipe type: Beef/Pork/Lamb
- 2 zucchini, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 sweet potato, julienned
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 10 mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
- oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste
- mozzarella and parmesan to taste
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Julienne zucchini, carrots, and sweet potato using the disc blade of your food processor, place in a very large bowl, and toss to mix. If you don't have a food processor, use a mandolin or simply slice thinly with a knife.
- Begin cooking the beef, then add mushrooms, garlic, and onion as it cooks.
- Add tomato paste, herbs, and seasonings. Mix well. Allow meat mixture to cool.
- Grate cheese into the vegetable mixture and toss.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- When meat mixture cools, add it to the vegetables and mix well.
- Beat eggs and heavy cream together, then pour into meat mixture.
- Using your hands, make sure everything is well incorporated and transfer to two oiled baking dishes. *If you plan on freezing one casserole, line your baking dish with aluminum foil before pouring the mixture in. After baking, you can simply cover and freeze. Once frozen solid, you can remove the "casserole brick" from your dish (freeing it up for other uses), label it, and place back in freezer. Put the "brick" back in the dish you cooked it in before reheating in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered and 20 minutes uncovered.