Recipe type: Condiments/Dressings
Serves: 1.5 cups
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 1 cup avocado or walnut oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- In a food processor or blender, crack egg and add lemon juice. Cover and allow 30 minutes to bring mixture to room temperature.
- Add ¼ cup of oil, Dijon mustard and salt. Blend until ingredients are combined.
- Incorporate the remaining 1 cup oil by pouring very, very slowly into the running blender. You are going to be tempted to skip this part, but the magic of mayo is precisely in this emulsion step. Set your timer for 2-3 minutes, get the skinniest drizzle you can manage, and count your blessings or meditate.
- Once all of the oil is incorporated, transfer to a mason jar and mark with the egg expiration date -- that's when the mayo will expire, too.