Nothing screams North American classic dish like spaghetti and meatballs! Check out this healthy version that preserves all the taste but doesn’t leave you in a carb coma in the hours to follow. Ask any real food lover and they’ll tell you the spaghetti-squash-for-pasta-swap is a tried and true secret weapon.
PS: The meatballs can be made with beef, pork, turkey, or sausage.
Spaghetti and Meatballs
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- Can be made with ground beef, pork, turkey or sausage.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Pierce the squash all over with a sharp knife and place the whole thing in the oven for ~20 minutes. This softens it so it's easier to cut (i.e. lowers the risk of losing your hand!).
- Using oven mitts or towels, remove from oven and slice in half.
- Scoop out seeds with a spoon and place both halves back into oven face down on rack for another 20-25 minutes.
- Once cooled, shred the squash with a fork to create "noodles."
- Plate the spaghetti squash in a large serving bowl and top with marinara sauce and meatballs.
- After presenting the dish, toss to evenly coat the squash with sauce.